Friday, June 02, 2006

 

What I look for...

When I look for a family to adopt one of my foster cats, the following things are the most important to me.

1. They will NOT declaw the cat. This is a painful and inhumane procedure that is illegal in most places outside of the US. Read about what declawing REALLY is right here.

2. The cat will be inside only unless they live on a huge piece of land that is very safe, have a cat fence, or some kind of outdoor enclosure.

3. The cat must be a FAMILY member, not a mouser, and not a birthday or Christmas present.

4. Here in Hawaii, I am very cautious about adopting out to military since so many pets are dumped when they are reassigned.

I ask a series of questions that include these issues and a few smaller ones regarding things like veterinary care and other household animals. The answers give me a real feeling for how responsible and caring they will be. Some people I do not even respond to because of the way they word their interest in the cat. It's a huge responsibility to find a home for an animal, but so far, I have found fantastic families! And every single one has been on another island.

Comments:
Our human pet is deeply against declawing. Even though Isis and I have gone through numerous scratching posts and tore up her pefectly good black leather sofas, she still will not do that to us. I guess it must be love...
 
Please dont generalize about the military families. My beans are military and have moved all the way across the country with 4 cats...by car...staying in hotels along the way. I dont think it is the military as much as it is people in general. Military people need poodins to look after them too.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


end telemarketers